USC will harness university resources and expertise to encourage collaboration, coordination and education to find innovative ways to add to the efforts to address homelessness across Los Angeles County. We will create high-visibility projects, build a multidisciplinary pipeline of faculty, professionals and students who will work in this area and will provide state-of-the-art interventions and conduct research that can guide public and private resources to strategies and innovative solutions. We will consult in a variety of forums to share expertise. And, we will advocate on public policy and mobilize public support for implementation of short- and long-term effective solutions.
Dean’s Steering Committee on Eliminating Homelessness:
- Marilyn Flynn (Lead), Dean of the USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work
- Karen Gallagher, Dean of the USC Rossier School of Education
- Jack Knott, Dean of the USC Price School of Public Policy
- Erica Muhl, Dean of the USC Roski School of Art and Design
- Catherine Quinlan, Dean of USC Libraries
- Avishai Sadan, Dean of USC Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry
Homeless Initiative Objectives:
- Ensure housing resources for USC students with housing instability
- Expand housing resources for young veterans and their families transitioning to civilian life
- Ensure effectiveness of services used to match, place and support housing through research
- Facilitate housing for families with housing insecurity through LAUSD and family service centers
- Facilitate use of design model for low-cost bridge housing units (Homes for Hope)
- Train and supplement workforce of undergraduate and graduate students
- Coordinate outreach services near campus to place homeless adults in stable housing
- Provide a convening resource to disseminate knowledge and explore solutions
The USC Libraries have guides on homelessness for academic research.
Other topic specific policy information that includes links to veterans issues and homelessness.