Along with Dean Amber Miller, last week I was pleased to help celebrate seven professors from the USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences, who were honored with chairs for their groundbreaking work and their lasting – and ongoing – contributions to their fields of scholarship.
I get asked to attend many events but my favorites are those when I’m spending time with our faculty – especially the good ones. OK, I’m kidding. We are all working hard, every day, but it is important to take the time to share these moments with our friends and colleagues.
As I told the assembled guests, USC is in the business of academic excellence, and the seven professors that were honored are pushing forward the boundaries of our knowledge in subjects as disparate as religion, gender studies, art history, and earth sciences.
We also thank the donors who, by endowing a chair, are making a deep commitment to support USC’s academic excellence.
Congratulations to the new chairs. We are proud of you and grateful for your work. The new honorees are:
- Lisa Bitel – Dean’s Professor of Religion
- Ange-Marie Hancock Alfaro – Dean’s Professor of Gender Studies
- Pierrette Hondagneu-Sotelo – Florence Everline Professor of Sociology
- Jane Junn – USC Associates Chair in Social Sciences
- David Kang – Maria Crutcher Professor in International Relations
- John Pollini – USC Associates Professor of Art History
- John Vidale – Dean’s Professor of Earth Sciences
– Michael W. Quick, March 4, 2019